2.3
Ease of Use
Style and Design
Poster decreased review rating.

My list of products that have failed within three years include a two slice toaster, a toaster over, a kettle and just today my grinder. But don't trust me, I must be crazy to buy so many of their products!

I accept that machines break down and I'm willing to try and fix things myself if the problem is just a mechanical issue. However, calling Breville for a part is like calling Air Canada, when they finally do answer they spend all of their effort telling you what they can't do for you. Yes, you can pay a hefty freight charge for them to provide a repair that is likely to cost more than half the price of the new unit but don't expect them to send you a part that you can replace in 5 minutes with a screw driver. We are nurturing a world of useless people allowing this business practise to continue.

After waiting two hours for a call-back I decided to call again and wait on hold. Apparently I wasn't going to loose my place in the two hour cue. I'm writing this as I wait. It's no wonder really; they must have half the planet calling to complain at any given time.

Hold on, after 30 min. they have finally answered (pause). Result: They can't supply the impeller I need. Big surprise.

I wasn't even offered to have my grinder repaired! That's a new low. Imagine having to toss out your car because the brakes were worn. In any event, the cheerful representative will have to refer my sad story to a supervisor because it's long out of warranty which is not difficult with their generous 1 year warranty.

I told them if they had a 3 year warranty, like the Cuisinart kettle I just bought to replace the Breville, they would be forced to make a more reliable product. (the Cuisinart has a 3 year warranty). I will acknowledge Breville for once offering me a 20% discount to buy a new toaster online. I worked out that 20% off of their list price was going to end up costing me 10$ more than getting another one on sale at Best Buy.

I'm sure many people have had better luck than I have and perhaps the breakdowns are all just a bizarre coincidence. But I do deserve a medal for remaining polite and reassuring the phone agents that I'm not blaming them for the poor way their employer runs the business, while attempting to get satisfaction from Breville Canada. Mick Jaggar must have owned a Breville: "He couldn't get no, SA-TIS-FAC-TION" either. I'd love to see that on YouTube.

Thanks for letting me vent.

The only thing I own that still works in my kitchen is my sense of humour. All the best, Breville owners.

Product or Service Mentioned: Breville Warranty.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Longer warranty and parts to repair.

I liked: Friendly phone representatives.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jan 05.

Comments

Breville has resolved my grinder issue by offering a 50% discount on a new one. They did get back to me in a reasonable time so I have to give them credit for that.

However, I did receive the new grinder me with the exemption of a few changed it appears that most parts are interchangeable. Shapeways.com has a 3D printed impeller for the 800 series grinder that I have ordered as an experiment to try to repair the old one.